Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Pissed!

I had started writing a blog on Saturday about the devestation in Japan. I had a lot to say about the subject. My heart and mind has been in circles over how something like this could happen. The why of it escapes me. My mind was still processing so I did not complete that blog. I still don’t have the answers.

But today I read an article for which I am prepared to speak about. Apparantly, there are some very bad Americans making very ignorant statements about the events overseas. In case you haven’t heard, here is what has been said:

"What God does is God's business. But I'll tell you this -- there's a message being sent," Beck continued. "And that is, 'Hey you know that stuff we're doing? Not really working out real well. Maybe we should stop doing some of it.' I'm just saying." ~ Glenn Beck

"Look this is very serious people I had to evacuate all my hoess from LA, Hawaii and Japan. I had to do it. Lol"
~ 50 cents

"I just split up with my girlfriend, but like the Japanese say, 'There'll be another one floating by any minute now.'"
~ Gilbert Godfried

"What if God was tired of the way they treated their own people in there own country! Idk guys he makes no mistakes."
~ Cappie Pondexter

My first reaction was complete disbelief. How could someone say these things about a country and community hit by tragedy? How could an American imply that God meant for this to happen? My second reaction was anger. Americans were hit not so long ago by two devastating tragedies: the events of 9/11 and Hurricane Katrina. How soon we forget our own pain and suffering, our own place in time. We were outraged at the idea that people thought God had anything to do with these man- made and natural disasters. Both events made us take stock and realize our priorities, as a people, as a community, as Americans. And for a time, a lesson was learned. But time heals everything because eventually we forget. We are distracted by new stories. And I fear, the lesson was lost.

I know that most Americans don’t feel the way that Glenn Beck, 50 cents and Gilbert Godfried feel…if you do then you seriously need to question your own humanity…but the idea that there are people in the world that would utter such a negative and self-righteous thought scares the hell out of me.

When are we going to come together as a human race? When are we going to become champions for one another instead of haters and criticizers? When are we going to stop thinking that one country is so much better than another? In the trenches, soldiers say it doesn’t matter who you are…you protect your fellow man. There is no right and wrong in the trenches…there is only survival.

If you believe that God had anything to do with the earthquake and tsunami in Japan then you must also believe that God meant to kill Americans on 9/11 and during Hurricane Katrina. Do you want that on your conscious?

It’s time to think differently.

No comments:

Post a Comment